Did you know there is such a thing as disease branding? Well there is, and it plays a hugely important role in how we respond to outbreaks and pandemics.
Why diseases need branding - and rebranding.
- A short but sordid history of 19th century 'freak shows'
- Stigmatising names we still use today
- Gay Related Immunodeficiency (GRID) - a masterclass in the worst possible brand you can give a disease
The pharma business and 'disease awareness' campaigns.
- Why they exist
- Pros and cons
The tricky business of naming a disease that's new to science.
- Naming the pathogens vs naming the disease
- The World Health Organisation's new guidance on what you can and can't call a disease
- Novel diseases and how often they occur
How Coronavirus got its name.
- COVID 19
What happens to a brand when it shares a name with a disease.
- Corona beer versus Coronavirus
- Can panic-buyers tell the difference?